Thursday, December 3, 2015

Geographic Butterflies

Have I mentioned my love for travel and the world? Maybe just a few times? Well I try to incorporate things from around the world every chance I get. 

Every spring the First grade explores the world of butterflies. These creatures are amazing to kids and adults alike. For a few years I have been collecting butterflies from all around the world to share with my students. They are always amazed to see the different types from South America, Asia, and Africa.

 

This year I sent out a letter to some butterfly stores and was lucky enough to receive some new specimens to share with the students. I could not wait and let the kids have a sneak peak. Check back in the Spring for some real excitement!

** Update- Butterfly Art


 
Who doesn't love to look at butterflies? They are such beautiful creatures and have captivated me since I was a young girl. Growing up I loved finding them and was always sad to find a dead butterfly. One day while I was walking down a street market in Thailand I came across a beautiful pair of butterfly earrings. What a great way to keep the beauty of a butterfly.

Fast forward a few years and here I am teaching First Grade Science. To my delight, this year I was able to teach all about butterflies. I was thrilled to get started. Thanks to the help of a few donors and grants we created an insane butterfly unit! I used some of my own collections to show the students the art of preserving butterflies. 

Gorgeous right? The students learned about where the butterflies came from, different traits, and why they have specific markings. 

The next part of the project was to pick our own butterfly wings and create artwork. Each child received one wing, a piece of cardstock, and assorted markers.

Together I gave them ideas for drawing the grass, hills, flowers, sun, and much more. They drew them with black markers and then scribbled in with the highlighters. By coloring them in with strokes instead of a solid color it gave them an artistic look!
Here is an example of the one I created and below some student examples. We used a Scotch laminator to seal them in tight and keep them safe for years to come!

  

**Update Butterfly Release


Boy oh boy these kids took a liking to the butterfly project! Every day these little ones came running into the school and would clamber around the cage and take note on any of the changes in their cups or the chrysalises. I could go on and on about this project. It was by far my favorite unit I have ever developed over my four years of teaching. I will do a post later about the projects we did during the unit but here I want to share the pictures of our butterfly release.  The 1st and 3rd grade classrooms took a walk to the local park to release the butterflies in the local community garden. My 2 year old nephew joined the class in the excitement! Take a look!

My nephew and I opened the cage as the students watched eagerly!
 
Some lucky kids had the butterflies land on their hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...