Saturday, August 6, 2016

Souh Luwanga National Park

South Luwanga Natinal Park


 
Waking up before the sunrises is the best way to do a game drive. Animals are active in the morning because, like many other African countries, Zambia is cool in the night but gets scorching hot in the mid day sun. In the heat many animals seek shade and laze away the day. 

I rustled around the tent looking for my tooth brush tired but excited. Throughout the night I awoke many times to the sounds of animals near our camp. Guiding my way to the bathroom with a flashlight I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Slowly I brushed my teeth. Once I finished I was still half awake and opened the door to find three full grown elephants with giant ivory tusks twenty feet from the doorway. I gasped and the elephants turned toward me and began to walk closer. Emma and a few others were standing there watching them. As they began to move we jumped into the bathroom and shut the door tight. We stood there shaking worried they might break down the door. Luckily they made their way through the campsite and into the fields. 

The game driver arrived in this truck and I bravely took the front seat. These vehicles are open air vehicles and have no doors and only a canvas roof over top. If an animal chose to they could easily get in the car. However, I wanted the pictures so I snagged the seat the second the truck came. 

As the sun peaked over the trees we began our drive into the park. I could already tell that I would like this park more than the Serengeti. Instead of following in a long caravan of cars we broke off on our own route and began to explore. The landscape was pretty dry since it is still dry season here. Because it is dry season the landscape is barren and may not be as beautifully green as the rainy season but easier to spot animals. Animals need water and venture to the water holes which are fewer during this time of year.

Within minutes of driving we spot a few elephants. Our driver chooses not to stop and says to go further ahead. Hmmm ok? As we get to a dried up river crossing we spot two other cars along the bed. Slowly our driver pulls up to the river bed to see what is below while everyone in the back of the car looks around wildly trying to spot the animal.

I patiently waited for someone to spot the animal for me. However, as we pulled up I looked down to spot a leopard less than fifteen feet from the car. He was crouched down in the river bed with his spots matching that of the dry mud. I turned around to tell the others who had not yet figured out what we were looking at. When I whispered the news cameras came out and smiles came on everyone's faces. We are so close to a leopard!!! One of the hardest animals to find in the wild here.


 
I snapped some pictures and turned to the guide to thank him. This was one animal I never thought we would get the chance to see. He motioned to me to take more pictures however I just wanted to sit and enjoy the experience. We watched for about 20 minutes as the leopard spotted the impala in the distance and began making his move. Watching the leopard slowly stalk his prey was beautiful. The leopards fur is unbelievably sleek looking and I just love the pattern. At one point one of the tourists in our truck got out of the truck to get a picture. This is extremely dangerous and the guide quickly made him get in. Unfortunately another car came and delayed the attacked so we moved on to find more game!

Our next move was to track the African Wild Dogs. These animals are brutal and very quick killing machines when it comes to their prey. They are considered extremely dangerous. We were safe in our cars because animals view them as one big animal but to everyday prey these animals are deadly if you cross them. Sadly, after much tracking and footprint following they managed to stay hidden from us. They are quickly becoming endangered and hard to find so we were not too disappointed.


 
After peeling off from the track we passed a car that informed us something was up ahead. The driver smiled and drove us up the path and peeled off into the bush below a large tree. There in the tree directly ahead and above us was a half blind leopard with his dinner.


 
The impala hung in the middle of the tree while the leopard lounged on a tree limb. Years earlier we learned he was in a fight with another leopard and sustained eye damage leaving him blind in his right eye. The other leopard had died in the end. Now a female leopard did his hunting and would eat her share and leave the rest in the tree for him. Leopards are known for dragging their kill into the tree to eat and keep safe from other predators. 

As we watched the leopard he watched us back. At one point we got too close and he let out a small snarls. Below the tree a hyena stalked around the tree waiting for his leftover scraps. Hyenas have super strong jaws and are able to chew and digest much of the animal that other predators do not eat.

While we watched Shaun noticed that right in front of the car to the right of the tree was the female leopard. Three leopards in one morning!! Are you serious?! This leopard had a softer touch about her features and lounged in the grass unfazed by our visit.

Then the leopard made its move slowly slinking down the branch to the dead Impala and began to feed. His strong teeth ripped at the meat and we all went crazy taking pictures. This was one of the things I wanted to see, an animal feeding. I was very lucky in my seat because I was able to get great pictures.


 
When the leopard was down he walked back up his branch and licked his mouth. He was done. We decided to leave them alone in peace and go enjoy a nice tea break by the river.

As we had our break we watched hippos in the river bed swim around. What a beautiful day it had been. We were so excited about what we saw already it seemed like the rest of the day did not matter. Everyone agreed that it was nice to be in such a small group and just drive around.


 
After our break we spotted many more animals such as giraffes, elephants, zebras.
The zebras are awesome and I love looking at their stripes. These two were relaxing on each other!

We headed back with an amazing day behind us and hippos waiting at the camp!

4 comments:

  1. Miss P,

    I just read all your notes and pictures. They were great. I miss you a lot. Hope you are having fun! See you soon!

    Ella C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss P,
    We just read your notes and looked through your pictures!!!! WOW AMAZING!!!!
    Hope it was a blast and I can't wait to learn EVERYTHING you have to teach this year!!

    Love
    Jaidyn V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss P,
    We just read your notes and looked through your pictures!!!! WOW AMAZING!!!!
    Hope it was a blast and I can't wait to learn EVERYTHING you have to teach this year!!

    Love
    Jaidyn V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thanks for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Such a great information thanks for sharing this information with us.

    kenya safari tours packages

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...