Tuesday, October 28, 2014

To look down.. or to look up? (4-A-2)

The internet and technology is quickly becoming intertwined with our every day life. Very few people are not familiar with either an ipad, iphone, or computer. All of these devices give us access to the world wide web. However, they are also quickly becoming attached to our every move.

Have we lost the ability to communicate with one another, learn from one another, and feel truly connected? Or are the use of computers and phones only helping us learn more, teach more, and connect with even more people?

 Below is a link to a video that states that we are too busy looking down at our phones and other technologies. Everyday we post on blogs, facebook, twitter, and other sites powered by the web for others to see. However, because we are so preoccupied with what is online we are starting to loose social interaction skills. By losing these skills we are beginning to lose the things that were once considered important. Take a look at the video to gain a better aspect on the message being delivered.

Look Up Link

In a response there have been several videos that took the exact opposite side. Some could argue that by constantly being connected and building an online community we are socializing more and more every day. We get to share and post the things that are important to us with everyone we know every single day. This allows friends and families to keep in touch and know all the aspects of what is going on. This also allows users to find things they may have never known they were interested in. Take a look at the response videos in the link below.

Look Down Link 2
Look Down Link 1

* There was another video that was in response but more of a funny parody. Due to some comments and content I chose not to post it. However if you wish to see more just do a quick youtube search.  

So after watching both videos and considering both sides I ask you, should we look up or down?

3 comments:

  1. Technology is becoming more dominant in today's society. Everywhere you go, whether it be a restaurant, the airport, the grocery store, etc. you see people constantly on their phones. I even see children (2,3,4 years old) playing games on their parents device. Crazy. I often think back to the generation where cell phones (or rather smart phones) didn't even exist. What did people do to keep themselves occupied now that you can see how they are glued to their electronic devices. I believe there is a time and place to be on electronic devices. I have encountered the younger generation (ages 8-12) that are so into their cell phones, tablets, iPods, that they don't even acknowledge who is talking to them.

    Now don't get me wrong, the internet provides us with a ton of information that can be very useful and convenient along with social media that can keep us connected with friends and family across the globe. I am one that does use my electronic device but only at the proper times. I am not glued to it 24/7. I like to enjoy myself and not be distracted all the time by what it on my phone.

    This was a great topic to write about. I'm interested to see what others have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic....I just got into the debate with some teachers at school.

    I have mixed feelings about the topic and would probably say that I lean more towards the side of put the device down but I am not so stubborn that I can't see the amazing benefits that technology provides as well. I would say that like most everything it should be used in moderation. It's nice that it is available and answers to millions of questions are literally at our fingertips. People need to know when its appropriate to be used and when it should be put down and we should enjoy the physical world around us.

    I understand that it is a huge part of this generation and that is why I am currently getting my masters in Online Education. I also believe that teachers shouldn't resist the change to using technology in the classrooms. I do have to say that as a parent it is my job to not only tell my child but model for him the right place and time to use these luxuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of looking up or down altogether, maybe we should look at the connection and the preference of the individuals to whom we are trying to connect to. Some things are better built digitally, some better without any technology whatsoever. In some cases, the connections can’t be built in both manners and the decision is clear. I think part of our role in education is to help students learn when it’s time to do each, not necessarily through intentional lesson planning but through modeling.
    Personally, I think I have a much better handle on this professionally than I do in my non-clocked time. It is complicated by the fact that the items I do on my personal time are often work-related. I find my quiet, non-plugged in time limited as the digital plugged in world is taking over. I like that you used the word “preoccupied” because that is how my time is usually spent. Sitting here right now, I’m in the company of my mother; however, I am doing so in silence as I connect here. I worry that this (my always full and often digital plate) hurts my non-digital connection with her at times. In addition, I enjoy weekends at my hunting cabin, because it is service free; there is just something about a distraction-free down time. On the other end of the argument, I would not have the time to keep in touch with everyone I’d like to without the web. Basic tasks would not be so simple without the capabilities produced through the Internet.
    At the end of the day, I think flexibility is key; we need to find the balance as best as possible and make time for both, keeping in mind again the reception preference (digital vs. nondigital) of those we are trying to reach. After being inspired by a quote a while back, I think we have to emphasize to our students that they need to live the leading roles in their own lives rather than only through the supporting roles or on the sidelines for others. If we never unplug from the stories others are sharing, we may not get the chance to find our own next big story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...